Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lovely Evening:



Last evening, Gerry and I were treated to a marvelous Japanese dinner with Khem, our Program Director, and her parents. Her Mom has been just super to us and we've all become friends.

We had several types of sushi, fish balls, tempura and another dish or two whose name I don't know. All were washed down with Singha beer, the wonderful Chinese-made Thai beer that reminds me of a beer I once enjoyed in Brazil so many long years ago. (I'm not a beer drinker, normally, but wine is not popular here. Unless it's a special occasion out on the town, I just stick to water.)

Khem's parents are so gracious and have a fascinating family history they shared with us over clicking chopsticks as we enjoyed the delicious meal. (Remind me to share sometime in a less public forum. Involves fleeing China during the communist takeover.) Gerry leaves tomorrow to return to South Carolina after a few days additional travel. She was going to try and stay on another week here in Trang so she could travel some with me when I go, but United Airlines wanted $900. to change her ticket.

So this was a farewell dinner, too, in addition to the one we had tonight with all of the other volunteers.


Khem and her Mom and Dad

This was a great dish even if I can't tell you what all was in it! It seemed to have some of everything. All the food was fabulous and our hosts chose it with an eye to minimizing the spice for our "farang" tastes.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like the only thing missing was a little pork!

    Sara and Eddie

    ReplyDelete